So for some reason I am dwelling on the words of the dude from an individual art grant funding agency at #rank who said the best applications do not sound like Artforum.
I recently started reading Artforum, well back issues of it anyway in October, and was surprised by how good the articles actually were and who was in them and what was being talked about. Not just pictures of images of artists' works, but interviews and stories. And the language used was familiar. So I finally felt like I found a good publication that wasn't just sound bites of this show or that show to see (which are helpful) but real analysis and insights, so to hear this dude say such a thing blew my mind.
All that work in grad school to learn the language to speak about your work (immersive environments for play, community building, centering point for social relations vs party activism outside the everyday party ) in art speak and theory and cultural production seemed worthless when he said that. And that maybe I shouldn't keep on reading Artforum. I just know now that for this particular grant they have different writing expectations and it's good to be informed.
Speaking of what you learned in art school, that question is raised in 7 Days in the Art World which I'm half way through and aim to finish by Thursday in preparation for the #rank debrief.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Grant application advice
Posted by Mrs. Dalloway at 6:47 PM
Labels: #rank miami
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment